7 Ways To Defend Giant + Mega Minion Push
You may remember me from my (Musketeer + Ice Spirit Tech Guide) which was recently featured by Orange Juice! Today I bring you a quick guide on 7 different ways to counter the new Giant + Mega Minion push. I tried to vary to defensive cards I used to be applicable to a variety of decks.
Thanks to these people for helping me to record the clips:
And always, some Fun Facts
- My Personal Best is 3961 using this deck
- My goal is still to hit 4000 with 9/7/4/1 (so close!)
- I am do not yet have all cards to tourney cap.
- I am in Reddit Bravo and the Super Magicals
- My favorite card design is Sparky and my favorite card animation is Lumberjack drinking his bottle of elixir during his deploy time.
Giant + Mega Minion
Even with its recent release, Mega Minion has already secured its place as a staple card in the Meta, with /u/ClydeCR granting it S Tier in his most recent Tier List. It's versatility and ability to transition from defense to offense make it a popular choice in Giant Poison, Miner Inferno, and Lava Hound Miner decks. The combination of Mega Minion behind a tank makes for a intimidating push for as little as 8 elixir when paired with the Giant, also S Tier. With the lack of Air Defense in many decks, this simple push can be devastating if not dealt with correctly.
Biggest Thing to Remember
Separate the Giant + Mega Minion - When the Mega Minion is directly on top of the Giant, it is very difficult to place defensive troops to target the Mega Minion instead of the Giant. Since Mega Minion is the troop you should focus on killing first, pulling it away from the Giant is key for a solid defense. Excellent cards for this are: Buildings, The Log, Ice Spirit, Skeletons, and Spear Goblins.
Examples: 7 Ways To Counter Giant + Mega Minion
These are not the only ways to counter this push; I tried to use a variety of cards in the time I had.
- Cannon Pull - This defense separates the Giant from the Mega Minion. The placement of the cannon into the opposite lane is crucial to pull the Giant and not the Mega Minion. It also forces the Giant to walk the greatest amount of distance. Other buildings, especially Inferno Tower, are substitutes for the Cannon as well.
- Mikan Deck Defense - Key point to remember is to distract the Mega Minion with the Hog Rider before using Ice Spirit or Skeletons. *I do not have much experience with this deck so I am sure there is better mechanical placement for this defense.
- Ice Spirit Pull - The Ice Spirit draws the Mega Minion far enough away from the Giant to confidently place the Musketeer to target the Mega Minion. Archers or Spear Goblins also will get the job done. The two Giant hits on the tower can be avoided if the Mini P.E.K.K.A. is placed sooner, but it will then take damage from the Mega Minion.
- Ice Spirit + Spear Goblins - As I explained above, the Spear Goblins can function as a substitute for the Musketeer, but the Mini P.E.K.K.A. takes damage instead. Spear Goblins are also weaker to Poison and vulnerable to Zap, so they are less reliable. Any high DPS unit can be used to finish off Giant, Mini P.E.K.K.A. is just the example.
- Barbarians + Ice Spirit - Barbarians don't see as much use as Mini P.E.K.K.A. but stop this combo when paired with an Ice Spirit without allowing any tower damage. They provide enough distraction value and DPS to melt the Giant and hold up the Mega Minion.
- Mega Minion + Ice Spirit - This is the most effective defense in my opinion because it offers a great opportunity for a counter attack by placing a troop at the bridge after defending. Key point to remember is to place the Ice Spirit far enough away so the opponents Mega Minion does not attack it.
- Giant Pull - This technique sacrifices tower damage in order to gain an elixir advantage by counter attacking into the other lane. If a Mini P.E.K.K.A. is used instead of Goblins, it heavily reduces the tower damage taken as well as providing a dangerous option for dual lane pressure.
Special Lava Hound Example - I did not have time to compile more Lava Hound clips, however it is VERY fun to watch the Mega Minion be kited across to the other side of the map. It is crucial to place the Skeletons as late as possible so the Mega Minion chases the two Skeletons to the side after killing the first one.
Thank you for taking the time to read this quick post. I hope you learned something from the guide. My next one should be more detailed including GIF's. If I hit 4000 with 9/7/4/1, I will do a deck guide with replays if there is interest. Otherwise, expect more GIF posts. Questions? Comments? Criticisms? All is welcome in the comments below.